A family therapy session at Counselling and Family Therapy Centre usually lasts between 60-90 minutes; the intervals between sessions are from one to several weeks depending on the presented problems, needs of the family members and the stage of the treatment.
Decisions over these matters are negotiated collaboratively with clients.
Although it is hard to estimate and it differs widely, the average length of family therapy treatment ranges between 6 – 20 sessions.
Family therapists often work with more than one family member in the room but individual sessions are also offered when appropriate.
Any difficulties or problems that affect relationships and communication between family members and family functioning and its supportive role can benefit from family therapy. Similarly any problem of an individual that affects his/her communication and/or relationships to family and wider contexts will benefit from a systemic approach.
Family and systemic therapy can be useful in times of crisis and also with regard to longstanding problems.
It also serves to prevent problems such as behavioural difficulties in children and improves parenting skills.
Some of the issues or situations at which a family could benefit from family therapy are listed bellow.
- Promoting parenting skills and communication among family members
- Relationship difficulties
- Health problems, particularly chronic physical illnesses
- Psychosomatic problems
- Child and adolescent mental health
- Adult mental health
- Psychosexual difficulties
- Alcohol and other substance abuse
- Marital problems including lack of communication, separation and divorce
- Foster care and adoption
- Family life cycle and transitional stages of life issues
- School-related problems
- Work-related problems
- Traumatic experiences, loss and bereavement
- Disruption of family life due to social, political and religious conflicts
Please do not hesitate to call Petra Titlbachova on mob 07800 894 891 for more information about family therapy sessions.